SMB Group is a technology industry research, analysis, and consulting firm focused on technology adoption and trends in the small and medium business (SMB) market. Founded in 2010, we provide research, consulting, and content to help our clients to:
- Understand and segment the SMB market
- Identify, evaluate and act upon opportunities, threats, and disruptive trends
- Develop more compelling messaging
- Position solutions for growth and competitive advantage
Clients work with us for our proven SMB thought leadership, experience, and expertise in these markets, data-driven perspectives, our strong track working with SMB market leaders, and our flexible, personalized services designed to meet each client’s needs.
SMB Group’s primary areas of focus include:
- Cloud Computing
- Business Applications and Solutions
- Communications, Collaboration Solutions
- Digital Transformation, including Mobile, Social, Analytics, IoT, AI, Machine Learning, and other emerging technologies)
- IT Infrastructure Solutions and Management (including Security Solutions)
- Channels and Managed Services
At the end of each year, we develop our Top 10 SMB Technology Predictions for the year ahead. These trends guide our syndicated research studies for the year.
SMB Group defines the broader SMB market to include commercial companies with 1 to 999 employees, and upper midmarket with 1,000 to 2,500 employees. In reality, the SMB market is composed of many smaller, more discrete markets. It looks more like a thumbtack than the traditional triangle that is used to depict it. For instance, 72% of all businesses in the U.S. are home-based businesses, and 27.6% employ fewer than 100 employees.
Source: SMB Group estimates, U.S. Census Bureau data, and World Bank estimates
Size, of course, is only one dimension in understanding SMB technology perspectives and behavior. Other key dimensions include industry focus, geography, the number of years in business,the age of the owner and other key decision-makers, and attitudes towards technology as a business enabler.
Within the SMB market, SMB Group’s areas of focus include: emerging technologies, business applications, social business, collaboration and productivity applications, cloud solutions, mobility, IT infrastructure management, managed services and channels.